Before attempting to import goods from another country, understanding in advance a bit about import regulations will help save a lot of time and money.

It’s important to know what type of goods you are looking to import – are they hazardous and are there rules about handling it.

Some goods are restricted and need licences or certificates before you can bring them into the country so it’s important to check the regulations before you import anything – the penalties for importing unlicensed goods can be heavy.

Licences and certificates

Some of the things which will need a licence or certificate are:

  • Animals and animal products
  • Plants and plant products
  • High-risk food
  • Medicines and controlled drugs
  • Waste
  • Hazardous or volatile substances
  • Guns, knives, swords and weapon


Both you and the person sending the goods to you need to be fully aware of the rules surrounding labelling.

Falsely or incorrectly labelling the consignment could result in your shipment being delayed or rejected at customs.

Still unsure about whether you need a licence or a certificate for the goods you want to import, then get in touch with our friendly, knowledgeable team on 01952 270699.